Earth Day is a special day as millions of people celebrate and promote sustainable best practices for a healthier planet.
Each year Mister Kleen participates in Earth Day events. At these events we’re able to educate occupants inside commercial and high security facilities of our sustainable cleaning practices and the impact on their overall health and well-being.
Though Earth Day only takes place once per year it can serve as a starting point for many people to make better choices in protecting our planet. After all, it’s the simple everyday changes that can result in healthier habits.
Below are ten tips you can incorporate each day to promote a healthier planet earth:
1) Take reusable bags to the grocery store or mall. If you happen to live near a Wegmans then stop by one of their locations on Saturday, April 26th from 11 am to 3 pm to exchange your plastic bag(s) for a free reusable bag they are giving away (first 300 customers).
2) Use a coffee mug instead of disposable cups. Places like Starbucks offer discounts when you bring in your own reusable mug.
3) Green your workout by going for a run, walk or bike ride on local trails and paths versus indoor equipment that uses a ton of power. Check out www.traillink.com to find local trails.
4) Use refillable plastic or aluminum water bottles to reduce your cost and toxic contribution to the local landfill.
5) Place living plants throughout your home and office to enhance the indoor air quality. Many plants act as a natural air scrubber. In 24 hours some plants can remove up to 87% of toxic indoor air.
6) Use water efficiently. While the earth appears to have an abundance of water only one percent of that water is available for human consumption.
Don’t run the dishwasher until it’s full, run a full laundry cycle, purchase water efficient fixtures and products, and fix those leaks!
7) Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Use products that reduce the number of chemicals being used, find ways to reuse products before throwing them away, and whatever you do recycle products that are recyclable!
8) Compost food scraps and kitchen waste. These items will decompose and return to the soil naturally, and it will also save you money on fertilizers.
9) Don’t top off your gas tank when refueling during hot weather. Wait until the early morning or evening when the weather is cooler to avoid any fuel spills that evaporate and add to air pollution.
10) Use public transportation, carpool, walk, or bike whenever possible to reduce air pollution and save on fuel costs. If you are able to work from home versus commuting to an office then by all means do so as this will help reduce your carbon footprint.
While there are many more tips to share, this can be a good start to begin practicing a more sustainable lifestyle in 2014.
Happy Earth Day!
Mister Kleen is a leading provider of contract cleaning services to Commercial and High Security facilities since 1976. Our primary service area is the DC Metro region. We also provide a variety of interior and exterior specialty services.